I know finding the right WordPress designer can be tricky…
WordPress design pricing can be difficult to navigate. Especially if you’re not familiar with the process of building websites or the special needs of WordPress. You could ask three different designers to quote on the same project and receive a variety of price points, features and timelines.
You should always think of building a site for your business as an investment, not a cost. To that end, I’ve created this FAQ to help you understand my unique set of skills.
Everyone have different site needs and yours may not fit into what is describe below. Additionally, everyone has their own process – this is just mine and I’m happy to be transparent. This way, you have a foundation of what it’s like to work with me.
Entrepreneurs and small businesses with existing sites (WordPress or otherwise) are my specialty. This is because there’s already content and business goals to work towards a better site iteration. You’ll see in my process that I’m about user experience and business strategy: I am not a template creator. Therefore, if you’re in tune with your current website’s strengths and shortcomings (or want to work with a professional that can help you identify them), we’re going to be able to deliver a spectacular revised site!
If you’re a brand new business and need your first website, I offer consulting to help prepare you in working with a web designer.
Each build is special, and each proposal is catered to your business needs. My clients want integration with their e-newsletter system. They want opt-ins and online stores. Automation so that when they write something once, the site knows how to re-purpose that content. Upgrading their target user’s experience is higher on the list than “make it pretty”. They want the site to be fast, work everywhere and do everything… yet be easy for them to use. Here is what I include in all builds:
SEO Optimized, From Code to Content
Not only do I insure the build meets all technical coded requirements of search engines, but I make sure your content is digestible for people. I leverage all of WordPress’s excellent SEO features to insure you’re moving towards your rank goals.
Everything I build takes the mobile user into consideration first. Micromoments are when users specifically chose to look for answers to their questions on their phones, and it’s on the rise. Therefore, I believe your site should be responsive by default.
Social Media Sharing
One-click buttons that allow your audience to share website content with their preferred social media platform.
Google Analytics + Google Search Console Integration
Add final site to both Google platforms with ability to view stats directly on the site. This includes linking your site’s search bar queries to Google Analytics.
2 Hour WordPress Training
One-on-one remote or in-person session. Training is recorded and delivered to you for future reference/training (neat, huh?).
301 Redirects of site content (under 20 pages)
Some content URL may change in wording from the current site to the final. The internet does not automatically monitor these changes, so any other site with old links will have “404 not found” to visitors when clicked. I will set up ‘redirects’ to automatically direct visitors to the content. A lot of designers forget this step!
30 days post-launch WordPress Core monitoring, plugin updates and backup service
Due to the rapidly changing nature of web technology, WordPress requires updates to keep content secure and running smoothly. I monitor the overall health of the site and keep backups of content. Depending on the nature of your content and hosting environment, I will recommend a colleague for continued support.
From a ballpark perspective, the $3,000 mark usually covers a request for 5-7 pages, blog, blog posts, full redesign, and the technical requirements of cloning and launching a new site. Special functionality such as memberships, forums or e-commerce start at $5,000.
Depending on the project, I’ll often lump in special client needs into the cost, but the items below I never include in build costs (but am happy to offer them for an additional rate):
- Hosting and email (though I can recommend a variety of local and international providers)
- Copy writing (review of content from an SEO perspective is complimentary)
- Custom illustration and photography
- Purchasing domain names, setting up email and other admin/server-related tasks
Very collaborative! I don’t disappear and show up with a design that you have no connection to. I also don’t build you a site, launch it and then disappear into the reeds. There are no surprises working with me because you’re involved in every step. Generally, my process is as follows and takes about three weeks:
- Blind Date: We have a 30-minute phone call to see what you’re looking for, and if you’d benefit from a build or a consultation. I recommend consultations if it’s discovered a stronger web strategy needs to be in place before a redesign.
- Proposal: I send along a detailed proposal. It breaks out the cost of each item, timelines, what you are responsible for, what I’m responsible for, optional items I think you’d like, etc. Think of it as a-la-cart ordering. I don’t focus on final price: I list out the items I think in my professional opinion you need to meet the goals we talked about.
- Discover: Once the proposal is accepted, we have a two-hour meeting where I will take your existing site or content and offer professional, UI/UX proven decisions. I am going to ask you a lot of questions. Like, a lot. We are going to scribble a lot of little sketches on paper. We will leave no stone unturned.
- Design/Develop: Based off our meeting, I come up with live designs for you to review. That’s right: I do not make flat mock-ups. Everything I build is on a live WordPress environment. I believe you should be able to interact with my designs immediately for the best feedback. Once the designs are approved, I apply them to all other content. I don’t just create templates and tell you to implement them – I do that for you! We add in any other additional items you many want. Mailchimp signup forms, conditional-logic surveys, drag-and-drop menu items… you name it, I can do it.
- Deliver: I squash any bugs or glitches and insure the site is perfectly responsive. We launch and celebrate together!
Data Driven: Don’t assume you know what people do on your website. I don’t either. Instead, I focus on ways to capture data, and make it relate to your business goals. The web was built to measure, after all. Are you keeping track?
Design Dynamo: With over 10 years of print and digital design under my belt, I know how to translate your messaging into material that converts. I design based on ROI, not trends. The fact my work looks great is just a natural result of making sure I translate your vision into visuals, perfectly.
WordPress Wonder Woman: If WordPress was a car, I’d know how everything works under the hood, and can turn your hatchback into a hummer. Plus, I am a leader in the Canadian WordPress community and part of a network of other WordPress professionals. I know my stuff… so you don’t have to:
- Coding and designing content for WordPress and other content management systems since 2009.
- Providing on-site and remote training for Canadian and international clientele since 2012. My sessions cover everything from functionality on established sites to comprehensive post-launch training.
- Well-versed in hosting and admin environments, I can troubleshoot beyond the platform itself.
- Host of LunchPress, a weekly Facebook Live show where I cover a different topic each week and answer viewer questions live!
- Creator and Lead organizer of WordCamp Halifax 2017, a volunteer run WordPress conference.
- Leader of Nova Scotia’s only WordPress Meetup, a monthly event where people of all backgrounds meet to get help and share victories.
I also teach UI/UX and the basics of web design to web students at NSCC IT Campus. I have a passion for teaching accessible and successful web solutions to our future web developers and designers. Imagine what I can do for your business!
I am not. While I learned WordPress by building a theme from scratch, and I am well versed in HTML, CSS, PHP and UI/UX, I am not a WordPress developer. This means that I do not write my own scripts, create my own plugins or contribute to WordPress Core. That is a beautiful black magic all its own. I am part of a network of talented WordPress developers that help me meet my clients’ needs. If you can imagine it – I can make it happen.