I am very honoured to be organizing and moderating an exciting panel for NSCAD Portfolio Day.
The big event is February 18, being conducted between the Fountain and Port Campuses. For the panel, I have organized five alumni from a variety of disciplines and graduate years. They will discuss what it means to be an art professional in Halifax, share their experiences as entrepreneurs and detail how their education shaped who they are today. It is called ‘A Future In Art: Catching up with NSCAD Alumni’
The panelists are an amazing bunch of talented entrepreneurs:
- Mimi Fautley, owner of The Loop yarn and modern fiber store
- Melissa Townsend, painter
- Duane Jones, records analyst for Dalhousie Medical School’s Dean’s Office, founder of clothing brand Art Pays Me and founder of design consultancy Glitterati Communications
- Mary Garoutte, painter, arts administrator at Zwicker’s Art Gallery, painting instructor
- Geordan Moore, owner of The Quarrelsome Yeti silkscreen, freelance illustrator
It will prove to be a very informative session. Not only for prospective students but for their guardians attending with them, and the general public.
In addition to reviews and the panel, there are other activities to take in. There’s sampler courses from Extended Studies, campus tours, and student movies will be shown.
I am always happy to be able to give back to the university I owe so much of my professional skills to. As a Toastmaster, I look forward to the rewarding role of a moderator. Bringing artists together to inspire the next generation is such a special event!